I promised you more than photography and party planning. What you get instead, is a list. Of the good. Of now. Because there is much to report.
1. Receiving a check for my first paid portrait session, weeks before I expected to book anyone.
2. Lyra saying “I love you” spontaneously and heartfelt, at quiet moments, when I least expect to hear those words.
3. Watching episodes of Good Eats with my three-year-old and watching her re-enact scenes with her play kitchen.
4. Baking (and eating) a multi-layer celebration cake with my fourteen-year-old niece while she visited.
5. Finding an owl feather and giving it to my daughter, who treated it like it was a sacred treasure.
6. Planning an autumn road trip.
7. Preparing to watch of one of my longest and dearest friends marry her ideal match.
8. Finally putting to great use my expensive art school education.
9. Discovering skills and strengths I never believed I had.
10. Hanging photos on our walls that were taken by my hand.
11. Making this season’s blackberry syrup and drinking blackberry min iced teas.
12. Eating my brother’s fried chicken, and discovering his is now better than my mom’s.
13. Hanging out with my sister-in-law and watching low-brow television past midnight.
14. Discovering a simple, 10-minute fish recipe that everyone loves eating.
15. Watching Lyra pull tomato after tomato out of our garden and eat them like candy.
16. Anticipating the change of seasons and the traditions that fall and winter bring.
17. Reading The Lorax and The Giving Tree again as an adult.
18. Receiving an unexpected offer to take a freelance graphic design project.
19. Working during nap time.
20. Grateful to have my best cheerleader still rooting for me after (nearly) thirteen years of marriage.