I have read these memes many times on other’s blogs. For the first time, I have been tagged. Thank you to Julie of Using My Words for giving me something to write, today. (Incidentally, Julie tagged me twice. Tomorrow I shall take on the challenge of the other meme.)
- When I was four-years-old my mother took us to the beach. I was sucked in by the force of a large drain pipe. The sound of the rushing water was repeatedly muted as my head was sucked under again and again. My small body was useless against the current. I imagined myself floating to an undersea village and living with mermaids and fishes. Then there was afirm grasp from my brother’s hand and I was somehow pulled to safety. The next day I developed the worst case of chicken pox ever visited upon a human being. To this day, I am deathly afraid of having my head submerged in water or having water splash in my face unexpectedly.
- I dropped out of school my senior year of high school, under the weight of enormous academic pressure, my parents’ failing marriage, and my own terrible relationship. After three days I was forced to go back and was placed in regular classes on a half-day schedule so that I could simple earn my remaining credits and graduate. I had not been in a class with non-advanced students since third grade. I was terrified, at first. The work was at least three grades beneath me. For the only time in my life, I had a 4.0 GPA.
- I have flat feet.
- I did not apply to a single college even though I received this “prestigious writing award” in high school. My biggest regret is not knowing if I would have been turned down and simply assuming I would. (My fear of rejection
wasis just that big.) Although I earned an AA in web design, it would take me almost thirteen years after I graduated high school to finally earn a BA in English.
- I can only eat eggs that I have prepared. This causes big problems for me when I eat breakfast out. The sight and smell of eggs on my plate makes me gag.
- I took dance lessons and gymnastics throughout most of my childhood. I had a dream of starring in Kids Incorporated, followed by Fame, and then moving on to a career as a Rockette. My mother signed me up for an advanced gymnastics class when I was ten. Early puberty made me taller, heavier, and bustier than the other girls there. I was the non-white girl in the gym. I cried the next time I was brought for lessons and refused to go in.
- For years I had a recurring nightmare about being chased by a wild boar. The dream started early in childhood and stretched until my late teens. One day an old movie was on television and I began to see the scene fro my dream play out in front of me. It was a minor scene from Old Yeller. I don’t remember seeing the movie when I was young, but apparently it stuck with me. I’ve never had the dream since that day, but I remember it vividly, because I had it so often for so many years.
I don’t know seven people to tag, but here is my list below:
Rules for the meme can be found here.